The sky is the limit with my new ice cream maker and our family has created so many delicious sorbets and ice cream flavors this summer.
This maple walnut ice cream is one of my favorite creations! It’s a rich, buttery, nutty, sweet melt in your mouth experience!
Complete with homemade maple syrup, toasted walnuts and a sweet custard using vanilla almond milk this maple walnut ice cream will have you going back for more!
Maple Walnut Ice Cream
- 1 cup maple syrup-divided
- 2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup vanilla almond milk
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 egg yolks
- ½ cup walnuts, toasted
- In a pot on medium heat, bring ¾ cup syrup to a soft boil.
- Stir in the cream, almond milk, and salt. Bring to a boil.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the 4 egg yolks.
- Remove pot from stove top and stir in the vanilla extract.
- Slowly add the cream to the egg yolks, constantly whisking together.
- Place pot back on stove top. put on low heat, and add the custard mixture. Heat until slightly thickened, stirring often.
- Remove from stove top and place in a airtight container. Chill custard for 4 hours if using an ice cream maker. Chill at least 8-12 hours if not using an ice cream maker.
- For the wet walnuts:
- In a saute pan on low heat toast the walnuts, remove from heat and let cool. Mix walnuts and ¼ cup syrup together.
- If using an ice cream maker follow instructions for ice cream and during the last 5 minutes of churning add the wet walnuts. Reserve some for topping ice cream or you can always make more!
- If not using an ice cream maker serve the ice cream and top with wet walnuts.
- Enjoy this sweet treat!