This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #BlackberryAffair #CollectiveBias
This Mixed Berry Pound Cake is baked with a fresh berry compote that’s made with Canada Dry® Blackberry Ginger Ale!
Spring is in the air and so is the sweet smell of Mixed Berry Pound Cake. It’s birthday season in our home and the celebrating lasts for 3 months! Our kids are born in March, April and May! That’s a lot of balloons and birthday decorations!
We are covered in decorations, cake batter, gift wrap and we are blessed to be surrounded by family and friends to help us celebrate!
Dessert is the highlight of all our parties, with the sweetest party coming up this Saturday. We start baking days beforehand as we get ready to serve old time favorites as well as new sweet treats.
This year we jazzed up one of our family favorite recipes using something new I found while shopping at Stop & Shop for the parties. Our favorite Canada Dry™ Ginger Ale is available as a seasonal product in the flavor of Blackberry!
Canada Dry® Blackberry Ginger Ale is the perfect way to sweetened up my mixed berry compote for the pound cake!
When the kids heard the twist of the cap and the fizz of the Canada Dry® Blackberry Ginger Ale they came into the kitchen asking for a taste! It met with rave reviews and they asked me to head back to the store to get some more for the parties! It is a great drink to serve at any party because of its great taste that comes from being made with real ginger.
This Mixed Berry Pound Cake starts with a fresh berry compote that simmers and bubbles on the stove. While the compote does it magic I mix together the ingredients for the buttery, sweet pound cake.
Pound Cake originated from Europe and traditionally weighed 4 pounds! The recipe called for one pound each of butter, sugar, eggs, and flour and as a result, the name pound cake was born! Through the years, we have added to this dense, buttery cake with ingredients like fruit, chocolate, and nuts. The sky’s the limit when creating a pound cake!
While we don’t use a pound of each ingredient, our pound cake has the same great taste and texture as though we did! With the added mixed berry compote this Mixed Berry Pound Cake becomes the perfect cake to serve at the birthday party!
Let’s head to the kitchen and stir together this sweet cake with the little fizz pop of Canada Dry® Blackberry Ginger Ale!
- Pound Cake
- 1½ cups (3 sticks) + 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter- softened
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla or almond extract
- 6 eggs
- Mixed Berry Compote
- 4 cups fresh berries
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup Canada Dry® Blackberry Ginger Ale
- 1½ Tablespoons lemon juice
- 2½ Tablespoons cornstarch
- Cream Cheese Drizzle
- ¼ cup confectioner's sugar
- 2 Tablespoons cream cheese- softened
- 1 Tablespoon milk
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Candied Lemon Peel
- 3 large lemons
- 1 cup water- divided
- ¾ cup granulated sugar- divided
- Preheat Oven to 350F
- Let's make the mixed berry compote!
- In a small saucepan on medium heat add granulated sugar and Canada Dry® Blackberry Ginger Ale
- Allow to simmer until a slow boil, making a simple syrup
- Stir in the cornstarch
- Stir in the berries and lemon juice.
- Turn down to low heat and allow to simmer and thicken for 20 minutes
- Stir every few minutes and allow to simmer until nice and thick
- Remove from heat and allow to cool
- While that's cooling let's make the pound cake!
- Using 2 Tablespoons butter grease a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan- set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl place butter, sugar, and vanilla. Using an electric mixer, mix until creamy and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time slowly mixing batter after each egg.
- Mix in flour little by little.
- Place 2¼ cups batter on bottom of pan.
- Add 1½ cups mixed berry compote on top.
- Add remaining batter and spread evenly.
- Bake at 350F for 70-75 minutes. Top will be deep golden brown and when fork tested should come out mostly clean.
- While baking let's create the toppings!
- Peel thin or large slices of lemon peel and add to a small pot that has a ½ cup water. Boil for 10 minutes.
- Remove peels from water and cool on a baking sheet.
- In the same pot add ½ cup water and ½ cup sugar and bring to a boil. Add lemon peels in. Boil until syrup becomes thick.
- Remove peels to the cookie sheet and spread them out. Allow peels to dry for 1 hour. Toss them in ¼ cup sugar. Set aside.
- In a small bowl stir together confectioner's sugar, cream cheese, milk and vanilla. Set aside.
- Cool pound cake completely.
- Drizzle cream cheese glaze
- Sprinkle candied lemon peels
- Add fresh berries as garnish (optional)
This first layer of pound cake batter!
The next layer is the sweet berry compote made with Canada Dry® Blackberry Ginger Ale!
The last layer of pound cake batter seals the deal!
From March until May you can find Canada Dry® Blackberry Ginger Ale at Ahold Stores in 2-liter bottles or 12-pack cans so you can drink a little or a lot!
Enjoy a cold glass of this delicious Canada Dry® Blackberry Ginger Ale!