Yellow cake filled with strawberry pie filling and topped with a homemade cream cheese buttercream frosting makes this cupcake one sweet treat!
In our home, we love strawberries and cheesecake! One of our family’s favorite activities is to go strawberry picking. With the warm sun beating down on us as we bend down to pick red, ripe strawberries is how we spent one June day each year. The first bite is the sweetest as the juice drips down your chin. Yes, we definitely love strawberry picking. 😉
Combining sweet strawberries with creamy cheesecake frosting and a moist yellow cake makes for one amazing cupcake. To make the cupcake have a strawberry cheesecake feel my blonde sweet girl sprinkled butter cookie crumbles over top the frosting!
We had our family party for our kids last week who are born in March, April, and May! We plan for weeks, shop for days, and decorate, cook and bake along the way. I save time on these cupcakes by using a boxed cake mix which still tastes great because we jazzed it up with a sweet strawberry pie filling.
We bake the cupcakes the day before the party and we fill and frost them the day of the party! Want to know a little secret. Ok, I’ll tell you! I keep the cupcakes in the refrigerator overnight to allow the top not to be sticky when I pipe the frosting on. This way the cake is cool and moist and the frosting goes on nice and smooth!
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- ingredients to make the cupcakes according to the package
- 1-21 ounce can strawberry pie filling
- 1 stick unsalted butter- softened
- 1½ -8-ounce packages cream cheese- softened
- 3 cups confectioners sugar
- butter cookies and fresh strawberries for garnish (optional)
- Bake cupcakes according to package directions.
- While cupcakes are cooling let's make the frosting!
- In a large bowl cream together butter and cream cheese.
- Slowly mix in confectioner's sugar.
- Place frosting in piping bag.
- Put pie filling in a large bowl and using a fork press down on the strawberry chunks to make small enough to fit through the filling piping tip.
- Fill each cupcake with strawberry pie filling.
- Pipe on the frosting.
- Add cookie crumbles and fresh strawberries as garnish. (optional)
I use the open and closed star tips, and the filling tip to add the filling in the center of the cupcake!
This year we decided to create a bright colored birthday theme!
Here are some of my decorative party tips:
Find An Item To Inspire The Theme: This year the theme colors were inspired by the celebrate sign that we hung over the doors.
Decorate The Table: I kept the table simple with a green table cloth. In the center, I rolled out brown paper and placed a burlap runner on top.
Create Center Pieces: We have been painting mason jars and filling them with different things. These painted mason jars were painted to match the colors of the party. We filled them with nuts, different colored candies, and succulent plants to add a little variety.
Blow Up Balloons: We use balloons to cover the floor for the kids to play with (and adults) and to decorate the room with! We have two columns in our kitchen that we line with balloons that match the color theme and jazz up the room nicely!
Hanging Decorations: We create a chandelier over the center of the table with swirls, paper lanterns, and paper flowers! These also match the color theme and add a really nice party feel!
What is your favorite way to decorate for a party? We are always on the search for creative ideas!!