It’s cold outside where we live, bone chilling cold! On top of the cold weather, my blonde sweet girl and I have been a little under the weather. When she woke on Monday morning the first she asked was if I could make some cozy soup!
Already trending in the year 2016 is the concept of getting back to the basics with eating healthy. More and more people are eating things that our grown fresh not only in their own areas but internationally as well! Be on the look out for funky fruits and veggies in your supermarket and go out on a limb and give them a try!
Souper is my winter series where I will be serving up one of my heart warming, chills in your bone-melting, savory, good for you soup recipes. Join me as I bring our family favorites, and new soups we are trying to the table.
One of those fresh grown, looks funky to my kids veggies is Kale! Packed with super great vitamins Kale is a veggie that I freeze and put in our yogurt smoothies. We also love homemade kale chips!
- 1 Tablespoon canola oil
- 2 garlic cloves- minced
- 1 onion-chopped
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 5 turkey mild Italian sausage links
- 1½ pounds red potatoes
- 40 ounces chicken broth
- 1 bunch fresh kale
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Let's prep the soup:
- Boil the 5 sausage links until cooked, set aside.
- Cube the potatoes and then boil them until three quarters of the way cooked-al dente.
- In a soup pot on medium-low heat add the oil, minced garlic, and chopped onion.
- Saute the garlic and onion for a couple of minutes, and then add in the Tablespoon butter. Saute until the onions begin to caramelize.
- Add to the soup pot the chicken broth, oregano, and red pepper flakes.
- Add the potatoes and simmer on low heat while you prep the sausage.
- Remove the casing from the sausage and crumble the sausage into the soup.
- Add in the milk. Allow to simmer for 20 minutes.
- Chop the kale, and allow to cook for 10 minutes in the yummy broth.
- Serve this soup with some crusty bread, Enjoy! 🙂