A shortbread cookie bottom topped with pecans, toffee, and chocolate chips make these English Toffee Bars a sweet, crunchy treat!
Today is National English Toffee Day and we are celebrating with these easy to make English Toffee Bars! Growing up one of my favorite candy bars to enjoy was a Heath Bar! Thin layers of crunchy, buttery toffee wrapped in a smooth, rich layer of chocolate! Toss in some chopped pecans or almonds, add a shortbread cookie bottom and you have yourself one sweet toffee bar treat that makes you do a happy dance!
These English Toffee Bars come together in no time and they make enough to feed a crowd! Take a few nibbles of this crunchy bar with some toffee hot chocolate and box some up to share with a friend! No matter which way you choose to divide these bars up they will not long in your kitchen!
Every time I walk by the English Toffee Bars baking dish, I slowly lift the lid, break off a little piece and walk away with a big smile on my face! One time my little love was watching and she said, “Whatcha eatin’ Mom, can I have some?” Caught. Now she will want to have a taste test right before dinner. Sometimes you just have to eat dessert first! 🙂
English toffee is pretty easy to make homemade, but for today, I opt for a semi-homemade shortcut as I use Heath Chocolate Toffee Bits. You can find them in the baking aisle with the chocolate chips and this way the work is already done for you!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup light brown sugar-packed down
- 10 Tablespoons cold butter
- 1 cup pecans or almonds-chopped
- 1¼ cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1-8 ounce bag Heath Chocolate Toffee Bits
- Preheat Oven to 350F
- Grease or parchment paper a 9x13 baking dish.
- In a large bowl combine sugar and flour.
- Cut butter into small squares and add to bowl.
- Using a pastry blender or fork combine ingredients to form a crumbly dough.
- Press dough into baking dish. No worries if you see little chunks of butter, it will still bake in nicely!
- On top of dough spread evenly the chopped nuts, and then the toffee bits!
- Bake at 350F for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and spread evenly the chocolate chips. Press down very lightly so they stick.
- Allow to cool. Cut into squares!