The cake was rich, and moist and it had soft, buttery crumbs on top that were a mile high, and it was finished off with a dusting of powdered sugar! One bite of this crumb cake has me reliving great memories of childhood as I have come pretty close to recreating the perfect piece of bakery crumb cake.
The secret to this crumb cake’s success is perfectly baked butter cake and the consistency of the crumbs. Take the butter test to see if your butter is just right to make the absolute best crumb mixture!
- 1 box butter recipe cake mix and ingredients to make the cake
- 4 cups flour
- 4 sticks butter,softened
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons cinnamon
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- Preheat Oven to 350F
- Make cake batter according to the box
- Pour cake batter into a 9 X 13 inch baking dish
- Bake cake for 20 minutes, remove and set aside
- Mix together the flour, butter, sugar and cinnamon
- Using a fork stir until the mixture forms crumbs
- On warm cake place the crumb topping and place back in oven for 15 minutes
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes and dust with powdered sugar
If your crumb mixture is to moist continue to add flour until you reach a moist, crumbly crumb.
This recipe calls for a 9 x 13 baking dish!