The night before St. Patrick’s Day we have a leprechaun come and tear through the house messing up toys, hanging green streamers, turning the potty water green, turning our morning bagels green, and leaving a trail of chocolate gold coins behind!
We try our best to catch him because as the legend says if you catch the leprechaun he will lead you to the pot of gold! Our plan this year is to leave some of this leprechaun snack mix out in hopes of catching the leprechaun!
This leprechaun snack mix is a sweet and salty mix made up of the classic muddy buddies recipe, yogurt covered pretzels with green chocolate drizzle, and mint M&Ms. We ate some, stored some away, and pack some in quart sized mason jars to give away to some friends!
Leprechaun Snack Mix
- Classic Muddy Buddy Recipe:
- 9 cups of Chex-any type
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1½ cups confectioners sugar
- 1- 8 ounce bag yogurt covered pretzels
- 1 cup of green candy melts or 1 cup white chocolate chips and 2 drops of green food coloring
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1-11.40 ounce bag of mint M&Ms
- For the Muddy Buddies:
- In a microwave safe bowl melt the chocolate chips, peanut butter, and butter. Microwave in 30 seconds intervals, stirring after each time.
- When completely melted stir in vanilla.
- Pour over chex cereal and coat until completely covered.
- Put cereal in a gallon sized ziploc bag and pour in the confectioners sugar.
- Shake until coated and place on wax paper .
- For the Pretzels:
- Line the yogurt covered pretzels on wax paper. In a microwave bowl melt the candy melts or chocolate chips with green food coloring until melted. Place in a ziploc bag and snip a corner and drizzle chocolate over the pretzels. Place in fridge for a few minutes until the chocolate has hardened.
- In a large bowl add the M&Ms, the pretzels, and 6 cups of the muddy buddies! Enjoy this yummy snack mix, and maybe you'll catch a leprechaun if you don't eat it all first! 🙂
Celebrate St. Patrick’s Day: