One of our family’s favorite Italian comfort food dishes is lasagna! The sweet sauce, long noodles, fresh herbs, cheese and flavorful meat make lasagna a creamy, tasty dish.
I have brought the wonderful flavors of lasagna into this easy to make lasagna soup! This soup is all the great flavors of lasagna with half the work! I love the great smell of home Italian cooking with sauteed garlic and fresh basil simmering in sauce! Roll up your sleeves, let’s head to the kitchen to create this amazing lasagna soup.
- 10 ounce lasagna noodles-cooked
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 2 garlic cloves-minced
- 1 onion-chopped
- 1 Tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1-28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1-14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 32 ounces chicken broth
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- ¼ cup fresh basil-chopped
- ¼ cup fresh parsley-chopped
- ⅓ cup Parmesean cheese-grated
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- thick slices of provolone cheese-optional
- Saute garlic and onion in oil and butter, add in ground turkey and cook. Stir to break up the meat until small chunks. Take off heat and set aside.
- Boil water and cook the pasta, drain, set aside.
- In a large pot place the crushed and diced tomatoes, chicken broth, tomato paste, and fresh ground pepper.
- Drain the extra liquid from the meat and add into the tomato broth.
- Cut the noodles into bite sized pieces, and add in.
- Add the fresh parsley, basil, and Parmesan cheese, stir together.
- Allow to simmer for 20 minutes! Enjoy with some crusty bread!
- I put mine in a small oven safe bowl and then put a thick slice of provolone cheese over top the bowl, I placed it in the broiler for a few minutes until the cheese was bubbly and golden on top!
You can replace the ground turkey with ground beef or Italian sausage.
After a time the lasagna noodles may soak up some extra juice as they sit in the soup, for a thinner soup just add more broth.