The sweet, buttery taste of caramel meets the salty crunch of a pretzel and earthy bite of a walnut in this finger licking good caramel walnut bar! My Mom and I were out to lunch and out of her pocket she pulls out a recipe and says, “these look good, could you change the recipe and make it better?” After one failed attempt I tweaked a few things and came up with this 6 ingredient candy sweetness!
Caramel Walnut Bars
- 2 cups pretzels, crushed
- 1 stick butter, melted
- 3 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 egg white
- 11 ounce bag caramels-I use Kraft brand
- 1 or 2 Tablespoons milk-start out with one and add the second if caramels are still not creamy
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 375F
- Line an 8x8 square pan with tinfoil or parchment paper, and allow it to come over the sides.
- Place pretzels in a ziploc bag and crush into crumbs.
- In a bowl mix crushed pretzels, butter, sugar and egg white.
- Press crumb mixture onto the bottom of the pan .
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- While crust is baking, unwrap caramels and combine with milk in a microwave safe bowl or on the stove top. Stir until caramels are completely melted.
- Remove crust from oven and pour caramel mixture over top the crust.
- Sprinkle the walnuts on top.
- Place in refrigerator for at least one hour
- Enjoy :-)
**If you have leftovers I recommend placing in fridge so that caramel can stay hardened**
You May Also Enjoy:
Mounds Cookie Bars