The weekends can bring just as much craziness and running around as the weekdays! I try and find extra time to make special meals that we can enjoy together and linger a little longer at the table over food and conversation.This hearty chili is bursting with flavorful meat,tomatoes, and three different types of beans! Prepare it in the morning, and have it ready to go by dinner! I serve this with tortilla chips,corn bread, and brown rice!
Crockpot Turkey Chili
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 4 cups beans, I use white beans,black beans, and pinto beans. kidney or pink beans would work great also!
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 1½ cups salsa
- 28 ounce canned crushed tomatoes
- 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 6 ounce can tomato paste
- 1 Tablespoon chili or taco seasoning-If you want to kick it up a notch use more, my family likes it mild
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- In a skillet saute garlic, add ground turkey
- Cook until just brown, drain grease if necessary and add the salsa and stir until combined
- In the crockpot place the beans, all of the tomatoes and seasonings
- Add the turkey mixture to the crockpot
- Stir together and cook on low for 4-6 hours
- Top with sour cream,cilantro, & shredded cheese
- Serve with cornbread,chips, and brown rice
A few years ago I started buying beans in a bag. I soak them overnight, and the next day I boil them until they are tender. I take snack sized ziploc bags and put the beans inside. I freeze the beans and use them as needed. It is a great way to save money, and have a healthier choice ready to go!